November the 19th, 2011
TeliaSonera launches 3G in Azerbaijan
Azercell, the leading mobile operator in Azerbaijan and part of TeliaSonera, is today launching 3G services. Azercell’s customers will now have access to high speed, high quality mobile broadband.
“The launch of 3G services in Azerbaijan will provide our customers with mobile broadband that is up to 20 times faster than the current 2G technology,” says Tero Kivisaari, President of Business Area Eurasia. ”This opens up completely new opportunities for our customers who will get access to high speed internet services. They will now be able to surf on the internet, use video streaming and send files on their mobile phones at high speed. It will also be possible to extend distant healthcare services and perform different bank transactions, which will be valuable for the country”, continues Tero Kivisaari.
The demand for capacity and bandwidth is growing all over the world. The launch of high speed mobile broadband services is equally important to emerging and more mature economies. The launch of 3G services in Azerbaijan means that TeliaSonera now offers 3G services across its entire Eurasian footprint.
• Population 9.0 million, GDP 2.8% (projected change 2011).
• Penetration of communications services: Mobile 105%, fixed telephony 16%, Broadband 2% (Sources: Statistics of Azerbaijan, IMF, IHS Global Insight).
• Azercell has a strong leading position i Azerbaijan and is the second largest operation within business area Eurasia. Azercell is operated through Fintur Holdings. As a dynamic market leader, the company is known as a trend setter in mobile communications in Azerbaijan, applying new technologies and offering a wide range of products and services.
• Ownership: 51.3%. The ownership percent indicates Fintur Holdings B.V.’s ownership in the company. TeliaSonera holds directly and indirectly 74 percent in Fintur Holdings.
For more information, please call the TeliaSonera press office 46-771 77 58 30, press (at) teliasonera.com
TeliaSonera provides network access and telecommunication services in the Nordic and Baltic countries, the emerging markets of Eurasia, including Russia and Turkey, and in Spain. TeliaSonera helps people and companies communicate in an easy, efficient and environmentally friendly way. Our ambition is to be number one or two in all our markets, providing the best customer experience, high quality networks and cost efficient operations. TeliaSonera is also the leading European wholesale provider with a wholly-owned international carrier network. In 2010, net sales amounted to SEK 107 billion, EBITDA to SEK 37.7 billion and earnings per share to SEK 4.73. The TeliaSonera share is listed on NASDAQ OMX Stockholm and NASDAQ OMX Helsinki.
For more information
please call the TeliaSonera press office 46-771 77 58 30, press (at) teliasonera.com
• Compiler´s choice - More News Releases
• Archive 2005. News Releases